Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Oh Yeah, I Said 'Feminist'

It is amazing how offended people get when someone says "feminist." I could literally hear people's butt holes pucker and see their eyes go wide from fear of the two hour speech on 21st century feminism ideology. When some hear the "f" word, the image of strong willed woman who have never used a razor and doesn't wear a bra pop in their head. This woman is yelling and slashing down all of the men in sight. As much as I admire this made up woman, this is normally not the case.

People, especially men, have been trained to fear the growth of power among women in society. If you ask me, which you are if you're reading this, that is freaking ridiculous! Women getting equal rights implies things will then be, well, equal. We are not planning on putting men in chains or having public castrations. My only advice is they need to calm the fuck down!

When I first told my fiance of my feminist ways, he was a wee bit nervous. Before he asked about the length of my armpit hair, I asked him if he believed in equal rights and pay for women. He said, "Yes, of course." With a big grin on my face and hands on my hips, I informed him, he in fact was also a feminist (he still won't admit it....for now).

Within the past year, I have embraced my feminist-ness, especially during the election. Women have fought and died for us to vote, why waste that? Keep their voices alive. Increasing rights and awareness is started with votes. Policy change is not simple and needs people to come out and vote!

Women in the U.S. have worked hard to get where we are. According to Wikipedia (don't forget to donate!), there have been three waves of feminism - suffrage, cultural, and global feminism. Most recently, we have entered a fourth wave concerning reproductive rights, male feminism, and support for transgender peoples. These are some scary times, politically speaking. Stay aware and be an informed citizen. That can be your biggest weapon against injustice!

Last thought, don't be ashamed of being a feminist. Shout it from the top of a roof top if you want to! Instead of being scared of what others will think, show them there should be no fear of equality.

Have a great week, ya'll!

Sincerely,
Hillbilly Feminist

No comments:

Post a Comment