Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Body Hair, OH MY!

Legs. Armpit. Arms. Ass crack. Chin. Cooch. Balls. What do these body areas have in common? Scary, body hair (ahhhhhhhhhhh!!).

Ever since starting my feminist journey, I have always wondered why people are so weirded out by hair, one of the most natural things on our body.

I asked a couple friends about their views of body hair. Winter expressed she hates body hair, which of course I already knew. She also added that is for her body, “I don’t care one way or the other what a guy or girl does for hair removal unless we will be getting naked together.” Another friend of mine, Faith, explained she pays a “shit ton” of money on shaving products. A reason to the money spent could be seen in her response to a question how her day is effected by not shaving, she responded with, “I’m usually very aware if I have not shaved and I think about it throughout the day.”

Ancient pubic volsellas
For thousands of years, hair has gone through stages of repulsion for different body regions. According to MIC, caveman removed hair from their face for safety with sharpened rocks while Egyptians removed all of their hair, except their eyebrows, for cleanliness. Ancient Romans used shaving as a status symbol, especially for women. This is when shaving standards for women began. The desperation to show one’s status was so intense that when a girl entered puberty, her pubic hair was removed with “volsellas” (aka ancient pubic tweezers, OUCH!).

The pressure on women shaving their legs and pubic region was relieved when Queen Elizabeth I came into power. However, women manicuring their eyebrows became very important at this time, along with men and their facial hair.

The lack of pressure was maintained in the 18th and 19th centuries. For those women who chose to shave (primarily dancers/entertainers) used the new safer razors marketed for men. It wasn’t until the 1900s when a razor blade for women was promoted.

1915 ad warning
women of armpit hair
Conveniently, in 1915, advertising warning the dangers of underarm hair began (per womenyoushouldknow.net). This advertising not only pushed to decrease self-confidence, but also entice fear of being alone and without a husband. The wrath of leg shaving didn’t return until the 1940s when WWII starved America of nylon (used for stockings/pantyhose). Imagine, not being able to hide leg hair, the depravity! The full bush went out of style in the 1980s. In 1987, waxing became a hit! This was intensified by mass media and commercialization. The purpose of shaving has transitioned throughout history, from safety to cleanliness to a status symbol to trying to look like the model on TV.

My legs after a month of not shaving
(and a life time of no sun...)
A new movement hitting the body hair scene is embracing what “mother nature” has given us. I attempted this idea by not shaving my legs for a month and it was extreme anticlimactic. When I made the choice to not shave, I thought I would either feel super liberated or uncomfortable. Turns out, I felt the exact same. I pay who know how much money a year on shaving products just to feel the exact same without shaving. That’s ridiculous! To be honest, my fiancé wasn’t the most excited, but our intimacy did not change and we even had a quick joke when he would stroke from my ankle to my knee (I could see the cringe in his eyes).

Sadly, I do have to admit, my relief was overwhelming when I shaved my legs. I didn’t have the chance to wear a cute skirt or shorts due to the weather, however, I look forward to trying this experiment again when it’s warmer. I especially can’t wait for the glares and judgement by those who have been taught that women will only walk out of the house with no obscene body hair.

Another testimony from a women who abandoned the hair stigma discusses her transition from waxing to asking why am I even doing this? Check out her story at this link.

I haven't decided one way or another about indefinitely keeping my legs hairy. (What can I say, society has its rigid claws in me.) Hopefully this brought some cringes, laughs, and knowledge. Have a wonderful and safe New Year!

Sincerely,
Hillbilly Feminist

6 comments:

  1. Omg how in the world did u go a month without shaving?? I can go a week that's it (7days)then it has to go. I have discovered that the more often u shave the faster it grows bac. Like what my legs look like after 7 days is what someone's legs would look like if they shaved every day and skipped 3days. I laughed so hard my husband asked what was so funny and I was told to not even think about trying it lol but I might just because I can lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I said the same thing to my fiancé! I can and I shall haha

      It was tough but by the end it wasn't too bad :)

      Delete
  2. How about you shave open your carotid artery, I bet it would feel great paired up with your femoral artery, shave em both open and make sure you go vertical, happy trails cunt! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Wow, someone's triggered! You took a lot of time on that comment. Anyway thanks for the click! My viewers are going to love your little tantrum! Have a great to you too (sir?)! 😆

      Delete
    3. That was extremely anticlimactic. Bored now.

      Delete