Sunday, November 27, 2016

Guilty Feminist Moment #1

Everyone has morals and values that people may not be able to follow 100% of the time. I am not immune to this fact, especially, when living in an area that tends to have opposite viewpoints. Although I would like to say I don't wear bras, use shaving razors, or own makeup, I utilize all three. I would like to think being a feminist does not control what you do in every aspect. (This post was inspired by a UK Podcast, The Guilty Feminist. Check them out!)

Now let's get on with it....


My worst flaw is apologizing for nonsensical things, especially, to males.  The other day a random guy knocked into me and I apologized to him.......I to HIM! 😠 His response - "don't worry about it." About 30 minutes later I realized just exactly how messed up that dialog was. 



In that situation, I don't blame the random guy for accepting an apology to his mistake. However, I learned to not apologize unless someone was harmed by me. Otherwise, there is no reason to say "I'm sorry" a million times throughout the day. 

Another thing I've been working on is not apologizing for someone being sad or upset due to another person's actions. How does that make sense?!? 🙀 I understand the purpose, however, taking responsibility for something that has hurt someone else is not productive or appropriate to the definition of "apologize." 



apologize

[uh-pol-uh-jahyz] 






verb (used without object)apologized, apologizing.
1.
to offer an apology or excuse for some fault, insult, failure, or injury:
He apologized for accusing her falsely.
2.
to make a formal defense in speech or writing.

According to the Dictionary.com definition of apologize, it means making an excuse for an action made to someone else or to make a defense. Sooo....that does not justify apologizing for anything that goes a little bit wrong throughout the day. Don't get me wrong, I will still apologize too much throughout the day. My goal is to minimize the amount of times it is said. 

Well, folks, wish me luck! If you find any neat ways to prevent the "s" word to be said too much, feel free to write it in a comment. Farewell for now.

Sincerely,
Hillbilly Feminist

No comments:

Post a Comment